View Single Post
Old 10-27-09, 06:08 PM   #9
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151
Uploads: 0

Having some real life issues that prevent me from working on the mod . One of them is being 300km away from my main pc. On this laptop I can barely watch Star Trek. However, I promise that next week I'll have the Alpha 2 version up.

Tomi, I understand what you say, I've tried to do it at first, when I didn't know how to scale resolutions, but I didn't succeed and I don't think it's possible in SH4. They said that in SH5 the interface will be moddable through Python. If World Of Warcraft is any indication of what can be done with it, then we'll have a lot of freedom to integrate 3d and 2d interfaces. I myself would prefer no 2d interface whatsoever, but a better control of the cameras and a perfect crew order system. We'll see then.

By the way, I have a problem with the torpedo control panel. I mean the small one with buttons for torpedoes and the fire button. I want to integrate the open/close dial but that means that I need to deal with 3 separate types of dials:
- tube status (ready, loading, empty)
- selected tube
- opened/closed tube
I'm thinking about doing it this way:
- bulbs show the tube status, they will not have roman numbers on them.
- the separate labels (check the 3d version in the conning tower) will light up to show what tube has been selected
- switches similar to the 3d version to show opened/closed status.

But then there are other problems:
- first of all, I'm running out of screen space . I need to put all the torpedo items on one panel, on the left of the screen, both the settings, and the fire control. I would've prefered to have the fire control panel show up all the time but it would cover up the periscope depth dial and also, when extended, it would reach the center of the screen
- the opened/closed dial only updates when the transition from opened to closed has been made. That means that even if I find a way to allow you to click the switches to open/close the tubes (I'm yet to find out how to send parameters within the commands), there will be a 1-2 second delay until it updates. There are 2 sets of commands that allow this: Toggle_open_close_torpedo_tube and Open_torpedo_tube. Unlike the Open_sel_torpedo_tube, these 2 accept parameters (1 to 6, i think). But when attaching them to 3d objects, the Toggle one didn't work.
- Every time you switch from one tube to another, you automatically activate the "Close Tube" for the last selected tube, unless the Close command (or the Toggle command) is removed from the commands.cfg file. This however doesn't happen when you change the tubes with the torpedo selector dials (both single and salvo). SO.....

How about this:
- The fire control panel will sit under the settings panel and will only consist of the fire button and 6 bulbs (or 5 or 3, depending on the type of uboat), identical, with no roman numerals. You will not be able to click them and they will not indicate which tube is selected.
- There will be one label under each, and a switch under it to show which are opened and which closed.
- To select a tube or to see which tube is selected you'll have to use the torpedo selector dial (either the single or the salvo one).

I'd like your opinion on this: would it be a major inconvenience if you only switch tubes from this dial and there is no visual reference apart from the dial to show you wich tubes are selected?

Last edited by karamazovnew; 10-27-09 at 06:37 PM.
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote