View Single Post
Old 07-25-19, 03:13 PM   #1
YellowFin
Engineer

Downloads: 56
Uploads: 0
Default S-Boat Incorrectly Modeled

I like starting my careers in S-Boats. The stock settings for this class are incorrect and make realistic S-Boat deployments difficult, if not impossible.

According to real war patrol reports they would usually run submerged during the day, at around 3 kts, and recharge during the night, sometimes even just laying to instead of actually travelling. As a general rule the boats were surfaced between 1830 and 0430 in the morning. This apparently allowed to regenerate enough battery power.

Real S-Boats had 2 diesel engines and could travel at 2/3 ahead on one, while the other charged the batteries. This was especially useful when one of the engines gave up, or burned or otherwise made those men's lives hard.

In game this is not possible, as staying submerged at 3 kts, even without maneuvering drains the battery in about 6-7 hours down to less than 30% and a full night (1830-0430) of charging only gives me back about 20%.

In my view the stock S-Boat uses too much electrical power at a factor of 1.3 or so and recharges a factor 4-5 too slowly.

In the sub systems screen I see two engines modeled. Is the power generation / drive engine split possible? Could it be modded?

There is Webster's S-Class Mod for v1.4 & v1.5, which debuffs S-Boats to an extent, but it definitely allowed for realistic submerged/surfaced portions of the patrol. Unfortunately it messes with the sound fixes of FOTRSU, which is why I had to remove it.

Am I experiencing an anomaly or do others see the same problem? How are the other boat types in terms of battery charging times? Realistic? Over powered, under powered?

Greetings and safe hunting!
YellowFin is offline   Reply With Quote