View Single Post
Old 06-11-11, 02:25 PM   #3
redtyphoon
Sailor man

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default More OpenSSN news

Hi all,

I'm happy to report OpenSSN version 0.4 is available for download over at http://openssn.sf.net This new release was mainly focused on cleaning up code and making things more flexible in the background, but we do have some new stuff for players.

Torpedo sonar now works better and the ESM display has been fixed.
Ships that have sonar and other subs will run away from torpedoes fired at them.
The game should now compile properly on both Linux and FreeBSD. I haven't tried it on a Mac, but I think it should work there too.
We now have our first mission, which will begin as soon as the game loads. The mission is to find the one enemy submarine in your sector. Once the enemy is found, you should see a "mission accomplished" screen and the game will exit.

For the next release I hope to add a few more missions, a main menu screen so players can select missions, and give enemies the ability to shoot back.

If you are interested, the project can use your help. There are a few tasks that really need doing that don't require any coding experience. They are, in no particular order....

1. The website could use some art work. Anyone here with some photos of subs they can turn into banners? Can you draw a logo for OpenSSN? Any submissions are welcome.

2. We need a better "mission accomplished" screen, as well as a "mission failed" background, a "you were destroyed" screen and a main menu background.

3. Can you translate the manual to another language? That would be really helpful.

4. The game has new ship files which allow us to easily add new ships/subs to the game. In the "ships" folder there's an information file which lists the values needed to create a new ship for the game. We could use some new subs, destroyers, cruisers, etc.

That about covers it for now. Please send bug reports, artwork and suggestions to me either here on the forum or at jessefrgsmith@yahoo.ca

Keep your baffles clear.
redtyphoon is offline   Reply With Quote