View Single Post
Old 04-14-10, 03:16 AM   #782
frinik
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Particle effects

I agree with LC that it would be preferable to have more tanks in the game and less artillery or alternately keep the same amount of artillery but decrease or space the explosions of shells crashing on the battlefiled.My own experience with particle effects( gunsmoke, dust from rolling tanks, tanks or vehicles on fire, explosions spewing chunks of ground in the air) is that they dramatically lower your fps even if it's temporary.However particle effects also add to the atmosphere and the realism of game play....

The other day I was playing a game and a 152 mm shell landed just 10 feet( 3 metres) in front of my tank as I was aiming to fire. The fps dropped instantly from 17 to 2.89 while the particles resulting from the exploding shell were dissipating in the air.Then after 6 seconds the air cleared and the fps went back up to 16. Also infantry - probably because individual soldiers usually tend to greatly outnumber the vehicles present in a scenario - takes a hard toll on the fps.

As well every game is different; some need high fps count to work well and smooth others seem to thrive on much smaller fps.Which is why TvsT works well at values that would leave other games playing in slow motion.

Anyway Zee has worked his usual magic and for that we are grateful.

Cheers
frinik is offline   Reply With Quote