View Single Post
Old 04-10-19, 04:22 PM   #15
B4dHorse
Swabbie

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphaba View Post

There's just no call for the tremendous amount of work, a single feature would require.
Well, obviously there is a call for that, otherwise this thread would not be here and we would not be discussing this But i will agree, its not urgent.

Quote:
We've got Uboat coming out in just days, Sh3 and 5 are still playable, so if you want saves, port and ocean crossing transits - you've got your choice.

If you want to have PVP with save games, Dangerous Waters can scratch that itch.

This game is about co-op first person working of a pretty realistic sub over a short single mission.

That's its unique selling point and differentiator.
Not having a specific feature should not make a game unique or be its selling point. And even if so, when the community likes ur game but would like it even more with one (optional, cause noone forces you to use safegames) feature, why shouldnt they implement it?
And sure, there are these games that you listed. but they all are completly diffrent from what we have here. I dont see Savegames (or Time acceleration) changing that.

Quote:
I don't like playing with randoms. I don't like players with no patience or discipline and who try to take over everyones station and all want to be giving orders. So I can only play this game when likeminded players are found and available.

But I'm not asking, expecting. or even wanting the game to change to accommodate that.
Well thats your way to play it. And i have my way to play it. There no "right" or "wrong" way to play, as long as you and the people you are playing with are having fun.
But just because you dont need feature X, why shouldnt the people who want or need it get it?

I too enjoy Playing with my friends, where everyone knows what he has to do, and does a good job. And i would like it even more if we could begin a campaign this evening, and finish it over the course of a few days or weeks. maybe even with ports and limited Diesel.

Quote:
I agree, save states could be done - with some limitations.

What happens if you saved with only 2 subs engaging, and when you restart a 3rd sub wants to play? Where should that spawn? What would be fair / fairest.

I can see this working better in a 'private' lobby with only one sub - but again, if you start a mission with multiple subs, and then save and restart and only one sub can play, what happens to the rest? What if those players want to play halfway through the 2nd game?

So maybe saves, but it would have to be limited in some way because of the all the networking and spawning complications.
Of course there are these problems to overcome, but you have these in every aspect of the game. not just community requested features. And there could be simple solutions to some of these. Maybe not being allowed to safe while closer than 1000m to an enemy ship, or while they are in search mode. If the devs want, they will figure something out, maybe with the help and ideas of the community.

Quote:
But I agree, time compression, not a chance.
After reading your and Pisces comments i guess i agree with you on this one for now. Though i still think it would be possible, its not worth the effort and time this would take at this point in development. Still i think this would be a nice feature to fasten up some of the longer journeys in a mission.

Quote:
The only caveat is if (and I hope they won't) they dumb it down and you always spawn right on top of a convoy; to me that's just turned the game into target practice. The hunt and intercept is half the fun. [...]
This is a game about patience and being cautious. Time Jumps, especially as you described it, takes all that away.
Completly agree

Quote:
So no, I don't have the time and energy to play WOW - doesn't mean I keep asking for them the change the game into something that I do have the time and energy for; I'm just grown up enough to say "It's not the game for me" and move on.
noone here wants to change the core game in any way. they just want the option to play "more" of it in their limited free time. Just because i like something doesnt mean i cant change anything to make it even better. And like i said before, noone can force a lobby to use Savegames (or Time compression, but we already kind of ruled that out).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortuga power View Post
I don't see a downside to having save games; maybe I'm missing something. I disagree with Elphaba about cheating being an issue. As long as it doesn't affect the MP community, who cares? The same reasons lack of time compression is okay (i.e. this is a hardcore niche simulator), I don't think we need to worry about it much.

That said, my own opinion is this is low priority. You can blow through the initial convoy seeking part once you've done it a few times.
Agreed. Safe games can wait. Its no urgent feature. But still it would be a nice to have and the community can always ask for things they would like. What the devs do in the end with community wishes and suggetions is completly up to them.

As long as a part of the active community wants something, i wouldnt just put it off the table because not everone needs or wants it. you can always make things optional. And for that "too hard to implement" Argument, i would wait for the devs to say something about that. Maybe they already considered this before and have an easy answer for this discussion, maybe they even want that feature themselfs in the long run.
B4dHorse is offline   Reply With Quote