View Single Post
Old 04-10-19, 03:33 AM   #11
OldCoder
Soundman

Downloads: 24
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphaba View Post
I'm never been a network dev, but I have worked as a programmer for a AAA games studio, and done networking code and stuff.

This would be extremely hard to implement. In fact there are no other MP games that have time compression where people can join in mid session (AFAIK) because - like I said - whilst not impossible, it's very, very VERY hard to do and do well enough to be stable.

There's just no call for the tremendous amount of work, a single feature would require. And if that loses 100 players overall, on a niche game, I suspect no-one would worry too much.

We've got Uboat coming out in just days, Sh3 and 5 are still playable, so if you want saves, port and ocean crossing transits - you've got your choice.

If you want to have PVP with save games, Dangerous Waters can scratch that itch.

This game is about co-op first person working of a pretty realistic sub over a short single mission.

That's its unique selling point and differentiator.

No one game can or SHOULD even try to be everything to everyone. So knowing there is plenty of choice, if this isn't a good fit, or something you can only enjoy when you have the time, then that's good enough. I don't like playing with randoms. I don't like players with no patience or discipline and who try to take over everyones station and all want to be giving orders. So I can only play this game when likeminded players are found and available.

But I'm not asking, expecting. or even wanting the game to change to accommodate that.

You can't make every square peg fit a round hole without destroying the square peg.
The one game (and only one) that I know about that does allow vote-based time compression in a persistent multiplayer campaign would be Falcon 4.
OldCoder is offline   Reply With Quote