View Single Post
Old 09-28-16, 09:02 AM   #5
l02turner
Soundman

Downloads: 167
Uploads: 0
Default Update to CVN78

I worked at the Newport News Shipbuilding & drydock Co for several years after finishing high school. Theu seemed to lay me off in a Reduction in Force every 5 years or so then they'd hire me back in a month or 2.. Had enough of that and went elsewhere. Anyway, the NNS&DD has the distinction of being the only shipyard in the US wiith the facilities to build nuclear AC carriers, mostly due to the massive drydocks. The yard is now owned by another co and its name was changed to N Shipyard. It was a great place to work except for the low wages (and layoffs) but the feeling of being part of something big and important was hard to ignore. I worked on the USS Kennedy, several merchant ships, Missle Frigates and a Trident Sub in submarine nuclear design. Most of my time was working as a planner in the Nuclear Constr dept.
Man! Those carriers are HUGE! It was super easy to get lost and the distance between the arear where I was working and the pier was LONG! So we made a habit of going in early and staying til quiting time. The "new" guys were usually sent to the tool shack on the pier for blasting powder and a stud grinder as an initiation. ;-) We were a oretty tame bunch. The Big E will really be missed!
l02turner is offline   Reply With Quote