View Single Post
Old 04-26-09, 07:08 AM   #47
Pablo
Commodore

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFish View Post
but is that in the atlantic? look at this picture I made last summer just off the Dutch coast
[photo removed]
of course, this is the north sea, not the atlantic, but note there's no reflection or refraction whatsoever. And this is a pretty calm sea on a sunny day.
Hi!

It is generally not possible to perceive objects beneath the surface of the ocean except in conditions where the waters are particularly clear, and when the sunlight and viewing angles are favorable.

The picture of USS Chicago that Hitman posted illustrates that it is possible under certain circumstances to see down into the water; however, the fact that it is a highly unusual photo also makes it "the exception that proves the rule."

I think it would be possible to modify the source code to change the visibility of submerged game objects based on water clarity, sun angle, and viewing angle, but I should think that would be a real drain on CPU resources best utilized to maintain high frame rates. Until then, I think you will just have to pick what you want to see all of the time and go with that, knowing that real-world exceptions exist.

Pablo

"...far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
- Theodore Roosevelt, speech before the Hamilton Club, Chicago, April 10, 1899
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote