Thread: [REL] Dark Waters
View Single Post
Old 02-13-21, 03:13 PM   #868
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

SHO

My replies, in orange.. or as subsim calls it, sandy brown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschilla View Post
#1: Steam download of Wolves of the Pacific and then U Boat Missions.

Ok, I use Steam as My go to source.. as with using them for such, can then make copies of the original install & leave that 1 alone as My go to GOLD standard pristine copy.

As it is, Steam has 2.. count them... 2 different versions of SH4... the 1st being v1.4, the other of course being SH4 v1.5, which it is that 1 you need... at the loading screen you should see Silent Hunter 4 wolves of the Pacific Uboat Stories/missions... has been a bit since I even thought to really pay attention to the load up screen... *chuckles* I usually just pay a small bit of attention, just to know it loaded up as it should.. not really pay attention to that slogan, as it were.., when you run it for the 1st time... this allows it to finalize & do what is needed for it to run properly. This is an important step & the game is NOT going to run until you do so.

I did check Steam & the correct version on the pic of it after doing a search for Silent Hunter... does indeed show as Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific Uboat Missions. If you on doing a search in your 'Library' & don't see that, then you definitely have the v1.4, & will need to grab the correct version.

#2 I assume that it is 1.5 because Steam usually updates everything, however, even though I have looked I never have found a version #. I just uninstalled and reinstalled U Boat Missions last night. Curiously, even though the download link for Dark Waters said Version 6, when the opening screen finally appeared in said Dark Waters V 5. I don't know if that means anything, though.

Never assume.. always ensure this is the case, BUT.. can tell you from experience... NO.. Steam is NOT going to update v1.4 to v1.5, that is something that YOU have to do... and as I mentioned, from what you've described with some of the issues.. the version you have is indeed... 1.4 & NOT 1.5, which this mod set calls for.. pure & simple.

As it was, I grabbed SH3, SH4 (which when I grabbed this bundle set, it included both v1.4 & 1.5, took Me a bit to realize that fact... ) & SH5 in a 3 in 1 package deal. I paid like $21-22 bucks for it (U.S. $'s...) at the time... & have never regretted doing so...

#3: C: Program Files (86) Steam/Steamapps/Common/Silent Hunters Wolves of the Pacific

Herein, lies 1 of your problems.. As it is, I use a 2 HD st up on My computer & have Steam with their launcher, relegated to the 2nd drive & the library for them, on the main 1...

As it is, I don't know how you have yours set up.. but.. if you're running a single HD set up.. then am thinking you will probably need to do a complete reinstall of Steam... moving them into a complete folder outside of Program files or Program files (x86) & then reinstall SH4 after doing that.

If you have a 2 HD set up, then I could put together a road map on how you can set up yours & have it work without issues..

Interesting idea about the mod folders, though. But it is also true that OM was buggy as hell.

Right now, the OM files have been deleted from JSGME and only Dark Waters 6 is enabled. I haven't even done any of the 11 or 12 associated mods that it empowers.

Obviously, plenty of others have gotten it to work.

I just realized that I had better check the LAA again as I had enabled it prior to uninstalling/reinstalling SH4.

I'll keep the tips in mind. Thank you. And if you know how or where to find the version number I will check it out.
Hopefully this helps...

M. M.

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 02-14-21 at 01:10 PM.
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote