View Single Post
Old 11-25-08, 01:34 AM   #8
alexcraig
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight
Yes, could be the settings, but considering the changes you made to the system, wetwarev7's suggestion could be good.

To have the game run on 1 core, start it up and let it get to the main menu. Ctr-alt-del to bring up the task-manager, right-click on "sh4.exe" under the "processes" tab and select "set affinity...". You should see a dialog where you can select the cores the process should run on. Disable all but 1, see if that does it.

It runs fine on dual-core for me, but it might have trouble with more.
Well Gentlemen,

It would appear we have a puzzle.

I decided to really do a thorough job of testing an install by using my dual boot drive.

I updated all the drivers on it and then did a clean install of SH4 to include the two update patches.

I loaded up Fraps and then loaded the Sim. I noticed my fps rate was twitchy and pretty abysmal showing from 1 to 6. This had me puzzled as I'm running a pretty high end rig where I normally get 50 - 95 fps on a flight sim I really enjoy, BOB II, which has a very heavy footprint.

So I moved on to try wetwarev7's suggestion.

At first I thought I'd found the cure as my fps upon entering the sub was stable at 130.

However, just as soon as I tried to raise the periscope the problem reasserted itself. I.E., it would freeze for about 5 seconds and then come back to life for a coule of seconds and then freeze again. Evenutally, the ATI VPU failsafe kicks in and the game freezes up altogether.

I'm back to thinking I'm going to need to do a manual adjustment of the 3D settings.

Can someone please point me to a thread containing the recommended manual 3D settings?

Thanks guys.

Alex Craig

Windows XP Pro
MSI 975X Platinum 'Power Up' Edition
Intel Core 2 Extreme Edition QX6800 1066MHz FSB 2 x 4MB L2 Cache
2 Gig of 'Extreme Dominator' DDR2 RAM
ASUS R4870 Top Video Card
Antec 850 TRUEPOWER Quattro PSU
Realtek HD Audio
alexcraig is offline   Reply With Quote