View Single Post
Old 03-21-15, 04:07 AM   #13
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublynx View Post
BTW GoldenRivet, I just realised that you have translated the regulations by yourself. Incredible work, Sir
I'll not claim to be fluent in anything but a bastardized variation of English spoken in Texas.

Admittedly, Google translate and other online tools had a lot to do with the finer points of translating from German to English... but then, what the software comes up with often has to be interpreted and re-written in a way that makes sense in English, this was the most time consuming part. the re-wording it.

When translation software is used, you end up with a lot of "backwards speak"

so when the proper English phrase might be:

Quote:
The national government shall serve as the body responsible for determining the beginning and ending of the period of time under which Kriegsmarine units must adhere to the Prize Regulations.
the translation program actually says something like

Quote:
Determining the beginning and ending, the national government, having the right, the period of time to exercise the regulations of prize
its obviously indicating that the national government shall exercise the right to determine the period of time that the prize regulations shall be exercised... but its the software's syntax that causes the sentence to be all ass backwards, so i simply reworded the ass backwards bits into ass frontwards regulatory language

additionally, i simplified the article numbering... my version has 12 articles, the original has about 90 articles

why the huge difference?

2 reasons:

1. simply because every other paragraph and sometimes every other sentence is titled under a new article number in the original document. I simply lumped the "articles" together with subjects that were related such as "STOP AND SEARCH" while i treated that as 1 article, the original document treats every other sentence as a new article for some reason, so there are like 5 articles there in the original document that say more or less the same thing.

2. Like i said in an earlier reply... On my part, there are several omissions, that either didn't really feel like they applied to the constraints of SH3, were repetitive, were explanatory historical foot notes that wouldn't necessarily exist in the original version or just seemed completely irrelevant. so i chose not to include them. this shortened the document considerably

here is a link to the full document, it is in German, so if you want to read the whole thing have translation software ready if you are not native to the language and be prepared for a LOT of interpretation

http://www.ubootarchiv.de/krieg/pris...eno/inhalt.php