View Single Post
Old 08-29-17, 02:40 PM   #60
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Actually it is pretty much a "damned cause you did it" thing, pretty much of the mess now may be made man-made. I do not even talk of the climate heating thing, but about something I read this eveniing:

In the twenty years between 1990 and 2010, over 30% of the open areas in and around Houston, have been sealed by tarmac, concrete, buildings, roads. Houston is inviting investements by low taxes and relaxed restrictions on building. Its booming, the demand on building and construction permissions is ver yhugh. The sealing of natural ground no doubt continued after 2010 until today, but their statistics ended in 2010. That may be 40% in total, maybe even more, of the soils of 1990 no longer available for soaking up water, also slowing its travelling speeds.

Add to this what I said above: the warmer temperatures, and consider the physics of Hurricans: what warmth of atmosphere as well as the coean has to do with Hurrikans becoming more or less "wet".

It certainly does not help that Harvey is locked in place by several Highs north of it, staying where it is with his thirsty mouth over the water of the Gulf and his youknowwhat over land. Somewhere all the moisture he soaks up must go. And it goes onto the surface of an environment that got sealed off by around 40+ percent of its surface area in the past 27 years.

"Damned cause you did it."

I think that is pretty accurate. Houston has outgrown itself.