View Single Post
Old 02-17-10, 02:30 PM   #19
kondor999
Watch

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

I have Panzer Front for my Dreamcast (Jap-only) and it's literally the only reason I still keep the ancient machine hooked up. This was a fantastic tank sim that got a lot of things just "right". It also had some really well-done "fantasy" tanks - something I would normally scoff at. But trust me - check them out before you do the same. The turbine-powered Jagdpanther look-alike was my fav! They might be fantasy tanks, but whoever did them was a true tank buff (for instance, that tank had an early and late version, with the early having a short gun that fired HEAT, HE, and an ineffective AP round. The Late version has a long gun and loses the HEAT round - nice detail there and unexpected devotion to realism).

I especially enjoy playing the "Tiger of Vitebsk" scenario with the Nashorn vs. hordes of Soviet T-34's coming at you from all angles and with Katyusha barrages in between waves. That was incredibly difficult, but taught me the value of an open-topped fighting compartment - the reload rate of the Nashorn is awesome!

Anyway, I still play the game - which says a lot since my time is limited and I only play the good stuff (which usually means not old games). There's also a version for the PS1 which you can play using a PS1 emulator on your PC (I do that on my laptop sometimes). The graphics aren't as nice as the Dreamcast version, but the awesome gameplay is the same.

You can easily find a copy of the PS1 version on eBay. Highly recommended and loads of fun.