View Single Post
Old 01-13-21, 01:34 PM   #12849
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
That's a though question actually. The answer might depend on one's religious beliefs, political views and moral convictions, as well as on the same definition of the term "violence".
Well you seem to suggest that there was a necessary form of violence related to protest. Forgive me if I missunderstood. We were talking about protesting for a cause. Hopefully you would agree then that there is no legitimate form of violence regardless of the cause. In a Liberal Democracy 'one's religious beliefs, political views and moral convictions' cannot be an excuse for violent protest.

In the article I linked the author makes it plain. If you condemn the violent protests of last summer in America then you must condemn what happened on Jan. 6th. If you excuse those riots for any reason then this ... "If you demand that your political adversaries adhere to a principle, but exempt people whose cause you endorse from having to comply, then that preference you enjoy boasting about is not really a principle."

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online