View Single Post
Old 07-25-11, 07:47 PM   #3
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0

That is a difficult and often emotional question to answer.

There was a pro golfer who had the same issue. He had a disability that prevented him from walking long distances so he wanted to use a golf cart. Other golfers complained that walking long distances in this specific tournament was part of the competition and that all golfers had to accept the exertion of walking. To allow this golfer to ride, made him less tired and therefore gave him an advantage.

What would have been the "right" decision for this golfer. I don't know what the "right" answer is.

On one hand people with disabilities garner sympathy and can be given reasonable accommodation as a result of their disablement.

On the other hand, participating in sports is a voluntary action and if one wishes to garner the advantages of participating in a voluntary sport, they have to accept the rules.

I don't know if there is a "right" answer to quandaries like this.

Decide one way and you are a heartless bastage with no compassion for the disabled.

Decide another way and you are unfairly discriminating against non-disabled people who are following the rules of the voluntary sport.

I wish I knew the answer.