View Single Post
Old 01-25-23, 10:35 AM   #409
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Weight limits can be overocme a bit by using one of threew Rucksack, adding 3, 6 and 9 additonal kg to carry (at the price of additional noise profile, but I wonder to what degree scent and accoustics really are realistically modelled in COTW, beyond the obvious many bugs there also are).

I use a medium Rucksack, this way I can carry two rifles to cover the range of animals in thwe reserve, a pistol, medikit, scopes, ammo, bino, 2-4 caller, a tripod or treestand in needed, a tent. I do not like pistols for hunting, I always carry just the .454 for self defence, especially against buffalos.
Interesting. I bought the tents and blinds DLC, and it is great while exploring a new reserve, but once I have base camps unlocked all over the map the tent loses some of its value to me.

I'm not much for ambush hunting. Don't care for blinds or stands, that's not my jam. Just stalking, so the tripod and other infrastructure has been of no use to me yet. If there's one place I could see the tripod being good it's Medved due to the danger, and probably Africa for the same reason, but I have yet to hunt there. Which means I was wrong when I said I've hunted all six reserves I have. It's just five so far I guess. Hirsch, Layton, Silver Ridge Peaks, Medved and I tried Revontuli last night for the first time.

I'm not using callers or scents either, removed all of that from my loadout, which leaves plenty of room for weapons. Just straight stalking, upwind and that's plenty effective. I'm sure I could decimate herds with a caller, but that's not how I want to play. Single shot, single harvest, move on.

I have the night vision stuff, but didn't care for it so dropped that too. So on my last hunt I was carrying this, having dropped the tent

-- Binoculars. The most used piece of kit in the bag. This is what you walk around with, and only bring up your rifle when you've decided to shoot.

-- .308 Tarza. Magazine fed semi-auto. Looks like a military rifle, like a AR-10 or similar. The 4-8 class handles a wide range of game.
-- .223 Tarza. Just like above but chambered in .223. Class 2-3 rifle for fox, coyote and lynx sized animals.
-- .22LR. For class 1 game, of which there is plenty, especially in Revontuli. Lightweight and the ammo is too. Rabbits, birds, waterfowl
-- .357 Revolver. Close-in defense weapon, and I'd like to go with the .44 for this, but money's tight. All in due time.
-- Koter CB-65 Compound Bow. Bows can handle any size game, which is according to the arrow used, not the bow. But so far I've used it mainly for deer.

For ammunition it's all poly tip, and arrows are a mixed bag due to needing unlocks. Have not tried a crossbow yet. I need better shotgun options too.

There are a lot of animals in the game and I enjoy hunting them all, but I consider myself a whitetail hunter at heart and that's my main focus. I also use the .243, especially on Hirschfelden because it covers class 2-6 which is great on that map.

This link given by Skybird is gold

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=414347241

Last edited by Threadfin; 01-25-23 at 10:44 AM.
Threadfin is offline   Reply With Quote