View Single Post
Old 06-10-21, 09:31 PM   #3373
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0
Default Small item with Brisbane to Milne Bay Bases

On my last (fifth) patrol out of Brisbane to deliver 32 tons of cargo to Mindanao,(departing 11/25/43) in Gato I returned to Brisbane on 12/19/43 only to find that the base (tilted anchor) had been changed to Milne Bay. I reviewed all communications since the start of the patrol and had no Operational notice of a base change. I was able to successfully end the mission by making it to Milne Bay.

It just seems strange to get a base change without receiving a notice first.

Also, following the first GATO patrol from Brisbane leaving there on 5/11/1943, upon my return on 5/16/43 to Brisbane I was offered an Instructor position at Annapolis, which I declined and paid a penalty in Renown. I don't think it was because of bad performance. My tonnoges per patrol were in the 50,000+ range, with the lowest to date at around 31 k, with ALL objectives met to date. Then after the third patrol, on 9/22/43 I was offered a new boat, which I also declined, apparently without penalty. This was followed by the fifth patrol that included the base change noted above. I will continue this career in Gato now out of Milne Bay.

Just wanted you all to know...

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote