View Single Post
Old 11-17-08, 02:04 PM   #19
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieste
I've found their customer service to be extremely offhand to prospective customers.

It isn't possible to register on the forums (even in read only mode) unless you have already purchased the 'game'. As anything even remotely technical gets swept off the front public boards into the member's only area as soon as it is posted I have no idea of how well they treat their paying customer's, what limitations with the currently available demo (some of which are show stoppers for me) are going to be addressed in the product lifetime.

Problems I have, some trivial, some showstoppers:
Significant freezes during the lift off section.
Orbital insertion is usually not at all accurate.
Orbital mechanics are wacky - if an insertion goes wrong and the 'mach' is ~16 the mission can be flown to completion. This is just silly, as the minimum orbital velocity for a low earth orbit is in the region of 24,000 ft/s (ie 'mach' 24).
The inertial frame is continually reset, so you can't just fly the numbers on the ball. (probably because the graphics for the ball are weird and only go up to ~+/- 120 in azimuth.)
The roll/yaw/pitch axes get horribly confused if you aren't facing 'towards' the current 'correct' heading.
The HUD isn't collimated to the outside world, in a 6dof cockpit.
The 2d and 3d HUD have different scales and information.
The flightpath information provided in the HUD doesn't reflect the real world guidance cues for the landing. It is possible (even easy) to land, but you have to deliberately 'cheat' the approach.
Drag in the approach phase is too low, I guess this is to make landings 'easier' but it just makes it impossible to fly the nominal approach path within RL limits.
If you pause the mission during the takeoff, then the SRB seperate after a fixed amount of 'real time' and not after the correct burn time in simulated time... I've had SRB seperation at ~200ft.

The 'development' appears to only be about adding 'new and exciting' missions, and tinkering with internal lights and other 'switchology', and doesn't appear to address any of the 'simulation of flight' stuff.

Which isn't to say it isn't fun (in a strangely compulsive sort of way), but I can't get excited enough about where it might be going to actually pay to find out if they have or have not fixed any of the above stuff...
Yes, their customer treatement (and treatement of potential customers) made me turning my back on them in some anger, too, after having tried the demo. I strongly refuse to put my money on a blind bet, I want to know what kind of support and future acvtion I am in for BEFORE I separate from my money. They also did not react to two direct emails when I requested some specific info to direct and clearly formulated questions. Too bad for them - I was very close to give them my money. Well, their behavior results in their loss - not mine, for I have good simulations enough, and can happily live on without this sim. But just imagine what this could have turned into if they would have been more customer-friendly and would do a better marketing job! AVSIM's review was extremely positive, and some other reviews as well - but they really do a good job in keeping people away. Stupid to waste all their effort and work so headlessly. They should take eSim as an example of how to do it.