View Single Post
Old 11-07-08, 07:45 PM   #8
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0
Ok - dont go with a "media" drive. The idea that its necessary for primarily video data is something that has little basis in fact. There is no reason to get such a drive. Get a standard 500gb SATA drive if your board can do SATA. I bought one just within the last week and paid 70 bucks for it. That difference alone will save you some dough. Make sure you get a 32mb cache instead of 16 or 8 though. If you really "HAVE" to have a media drive - get it later when your ready to do your video stuff. Save the cash for now. Its only a year right?

As for video card, I posted a link in one of these threads to a card that will definitely get you thru a yr - and it was under a hundred. I do think it was newegg though - but Tigerdirect should have something comparable. Also - you can check pricewatch.com but some vendors there are not so great. Here is the link - 9600GT for $85 - definitely get you through one year of gaming! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130360

If your adding memory and its within the budget - go ahead and move to 2 1gb sticks. 2gigs is a good standard now - so will also see you thru 12 months.

Since your cost conscious - avoid overclocking. Its too easy to burn things up with inadequate cooling. If your going to insist on overclocking - invest in at least 2 120mm fans - one pulling air in from the front - the other pushing the heated air out the back. Also make sure you dont stick the box in a confined space, make sure it has good external air flow. This will help with cooling. Also - if you have the money - look at replacing the fan/heatsink on the cpu - go copper and with a high quality fan - or a combo like a zalman. Don't forget the arctic silver!

I will say this - you get a good card in that box, a fast drive and up the memory - I don't think you will feel a need to overclock. At the speed your going - and what your wanting to get to - you won't see a performance gain that makes a difference. Mathematically your looking at about 8%, reality is its way less than that - maybe 3%- but the biggest gains will already be made in opening up existing bottlenecks - graphix and memory.

Captain Haplo

Last edited by CaptainHaplo; 11-07-08 at 08:02 PM.
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote