View Single Post
Old 10-23-08, 05:32 AM   #66
bert8for3
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 110
Uploads: 0

@Neal
Re the mobo/ram, IIRC I looked at the mobo manual online before buying and got specs for RAM. But mainly, 'cause I'm no expert, I got on the phone with tigerdirect and ran through the list to check that everything was compatible.

The trouble is, things change so fast. eg I don't see that mobo anymore on tigerdirect.

The RAM is @1GB 240pin unbuff DIMM 128Mx64 DDR2 (from the box).

Running XP Home.

Yes, the CPU is the E8400.

Honestly, I had no problems putting it together. At least serious ones, just a little fumbling here and there. No problems since at all.

Learned: SATA connections are terrific, so much easier. And the cables take up much less space, so better cooling flow. Watch for sharp edges, amazing how much opportunity there is for slicing a finger. Go for a modular PSU, then you just use the cables that you need, again better cooling flow. And make sure the PSU has good wattage.

The PSU is a Corsair HX620W.

The case is an Ultra Aluminus black mid-tower. Love the case, which I chose after reading some reviews on the mobo and somebody mentioned having combo'd with the Aluminus case. Then looked at reviews on the Aluminus. Nice front and side access, good cooling with front and back fan locations plus side ventilation panels. Had to remove the cone thingie for venting off the cpu cooler as the CPU cooler is so big.

Here are a couple of photos (lousy, sorry).

Finally, ref Goldorak about the 4870 card. IIRC that had just come out, but I was already over budget, so went for the 3870. Otherwise, I would go for the 4870. But the 3870 seems to do just fine.

Hope that helps.