View Single Post
Old 10-21-08, 05:29 PM   #29
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
That sounds really good, but I guess you need very accurate target data to make it that reliable :hmm: With good target data -speed, course- any shot is deadly accurate.
That's true for any zero gyro angle, low gyro angles introduce a small error with range and large gyro angle shots rely heavily of range being correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
Of course I will try it with great pleasure when your instructions are ready My mind is entirely open to any improved form of sinking ships
I'll give you some figures, for a target that is for example 600 feet long, firing at a range of 3,000 yards for two set ups, a 45 degree torpedo track angle with zero gyro angle orders and a 90 degree torpedo track angle, with a zero degree gyro angle order. You aren't sure of the target's speed, you think it's about 12 knots, but you know the course. you would fire when the target got to the following bearing:

10 kts 12 kts 14 kts
90 degree firing bearing: 17.9 21.2 24.3
45 degree firing bearing: 10.5 12.1 13.6

As you can see, the difference is firing bearing is much smaller for the 45 degree attacks. The angular length of the target for a 90 degree attack is about four degrees and for a 45 degree attack, it's a bit above three degrees. So, you've lost less than a degree in angular length and your firing bearings are closer, reducing the impact errors in speed estimates.

The Dick O'Kane method is very tolerant of course errors, but very harsh on speed estimates. This new method is tolerant of speed and course errors.