View Single Post
Old 10-17-08, 10:13 AM   #7
Graf Paper
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 2

I really feel for you, Reece. It seems that card manufacturers either don't care or hired IT grad school dropouts to write the drivers.

Creative Labs, ATI, and nVidia seem to be the worst offenders.

Soundblaster cards have been going downhill for years now but people still buy them for the name. Do you really need all that audiophile fan-boy stuff? If the answer is no, then there are a few alternatives to Soundblaster cards.

Unfortunately, driver support for the others can be spotty as well, so do your homework.

Before you go crazy with trying to RMA everything, try checking the Creative forums and other forums at places like Tom's Hardware. Only with patience and some research can you fix your troubles.

One last bit...in the other thread, you stated that you increased your mobo's PCI latency from 100 to 110. This increases the delay only slightly. You may actually need to lower the setting to 64 or less. It's meant for legacy PCI cards and your on-board sound may need to have this number lowered or disabled.

I've got my own motherboard, CPU, and RAM upgrades to install. I'm excited but dreading it because of all the unknown wrinkles that inevitably come with any hardware or software upgrade.