View Single Post
Old 10-03-08, 01:30 AM   #33
Etienne
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

I have a Dell XPS M1730. It's all kind of awesome, but it is not very portable. Which is to say, it's effin gigantic - the power converter alone is the side of a dictionnary. And the weight of one.

It's good for people like me who move their laptops once every three months (It's hard to go up a ladder carrying a desktop is all I'm saying) but there's no way to use it on a plane. Stay away from the XPS line if you need to move. (But man, are they awesome)

The cell phone card in mine keeps slipping out, so I have to bang the laptop to get it to work again. It's a PITA, but it's the only problem I've had with the laptop so far, it will be easily fixed once the warranty runs out... Oh, and I might be keeping my laptop in an environment that vibrates more than the common house.

Anyway, the point of this is the EVDO. Be careful what plan you get - there was a mistake with mine at one point, and they ended up charging me 3$ a megabyte. Nothing like a 700$ phone bill to wake you up... (They credited me and fixed my plan, thank god) But I'm still at 3$ a MB when I get an american signal, and the Dell EVDO card software doesn't have an option for home only, so it requires constant vigilance. Make sure you get a decent plan. Once the signal goes on 1X, you're back to the days of dialup, btw.

It's also too slow to play COD4 on line. Just thought you'd want to know :-D

Sorry for the rambling; I just started my vacation and, well, you know.
Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote