View Single Post
Old 09-23-08, 11:34 AM   #3
Boats
Loader

Downloads: 74
Uploads: 0

Don't take offense to this post. I'm old enough to have had friends who had a family member or two survive and had the tatoos to prove it. As well as a Dutch gentleman who gave us his copper tea service they had to bury to keep out of the hands of those he didn't have kind words for. And he had some stories.
Nor is this post about the deletion of the site's link. I don't know what the above web site advertises as I didn't visit it. I can imagine, as some take these games far too seriously.

This post is purely an academic one. A question of immersion in the interest of the sim. You could just as easily pose this question to a sim about the USSR under Stalin as he was as brutal as his opponent.

But, in the interest of playing a historic sim about a time period in which some very unsavory characters were major players, how far is acceptable? For a WW2 tank sim, as the Panzer SS were infamous amoungst the allies because they did play such a large role in combat operations at the front, should they be included? Or should the units represented only be of the Werhmach? But then again, there are stories of their behavior in Russia not being too nice. And I know, each side had its events, the difference of major import is that the allied governments didn't condone or call for liquidation. Not publically anyway.

Again, only a question posed as I'm a bit of a WW2 history buff. I even made the decision to join the military based on this interest. So this is only an academic question and not at all related to the first post, but more to the reply to the first post.

I will say this, there must be a balance between forgetting and glorifying what happened, for if we forget we'll allow the same people to return. But that's only in relation to reality, whether or not the SS is remembered in a fantasy game is of no consequence to me. Unless of course the game influences people to act according to their online personna. The jury is still out on that one I guess.

Interesting, I remember when KISS played in Germany they had to change the font of their last two letters. And Gene Simmons is Jewish who is a founding memeber and owns a great deal of the franchise that is KISS. Yet he didn't have a problem using two lightening bolts for the es's. Sometimes wonder what other Jewish people think of his choice of font.

I'm reading a book by a Tiger tank commander at present. He has interspersed a defense for the German soldier and making a rallying acussation against those who chastied and looked down on them after the war. As a former military man I can see his point, not all of them took part in the nastiness of the Nazi party.