View Single Post
Old 06-13-08, 07:59 AM   #6
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby_TFS
I guess one question would be can you set up an intercept between 2 contacts and not use the ownship? I see now that doing a change of station requires the ship that does the actual change of station to be the ownship. I though I knew where the ships were going, but couldn't get the MoBo to give me a simple answer. .
Yes, MoBo is very flexible in that regard. The way the intercept feature works is that it always gives an intercept based on the connecting line. If there is no connecting line, the intercept is displayed in relation to OwnShip. But if you connect a contact to another contact it will plot intercept between contacts.

Actually, MoBo is designed to be usable for relative motion problems without even having a background image of a maneuvering board. I could've easily plotted the same solution with a blank background, or a nav map screen print.

Here's the same answer with OwnShip as the Flagship.

Notice above the connecting line between "Port Beam Station" and "Cruiser A" allows the "Port Beam Intercept" to be plotted for "Cruiser A" rather than "Flagship". That connecting line is also known as the DRM line (Direction of Relative Motion). CH11_Prob1_Rev.DAT

Quote:
When I was looking at the answers on the paper manuevering board I couldn't understand why they were putting a parallel line to the DRM line at the end of the vector for the flagships speed. That part was really throwing me.
If I have time maybe I'll post an example as-if MoBo was merely a piece of paper and do a longhand intercept calculation.

Quote:
Thanks for the answers, and if you want to post any other pratical solutions I would love to put them in my notebook collection.
If you have some specific examples you'd like to see plotted or a screen print of a nav map, post em.