View Single Post
Old 06-12-08, 06:45 PM   #2
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 8

There are some handy shortcuts built-in to MoBo that allow you to do stationing problems much faster than the long-hand method explained in Chapter 11.

Are you wanting to know how to find the answer to stationing problems quickly with MoBo or do you literally want to manually draw all the lines as if MoBo was just a piece of paper? If you're going to treat MoBo like paper it's probably faster to just print out a 5090 sheet and do it with a pencil.

I assume you've already read thru the 40 page MoBo manual... I don't really give an explicit "stationing" example in the manual; but I do explain how to plot an intercept, which really is at the heart of all stationing problems. Admittedly, there is a bit of a large lateral thought jump that's required to make the connection between intercept and stationing. The easiest way for me to describe it would be to say, just pretend theres another ship already occupying the location you want to station yourself at. If the pretend ship is moving in the same direction and same speed as the target ship all you have to do is plot an intercept to that pretend ship.

I do have a couple more specific tutorials on stationing problems with MoBo. One shows how to simply determine a course for arriving in front of a target a specified distance. The other is a more advanced example that shows a two-leg attack stationing problem where you first plot a surface run at flank speed beyond visual range, and then a submerged final approach at 4kts to get within firing range as stealthily as possible.

The simple lead example is very close to the types of problems in Chapter 11. The more advanced two-leg approach is something that would be considerably more difficult to do on paper.

It shouldn't take longer than about 1-2 minutes to setup a simple stationing problem with MoBo. The two-leg plots take about twice as long. In which case, I like to have a toolbox of pre-drawn plots ready that I can pull from so I can simply make a few adjustments rather than have to redraw it all every time (but you need MoBo v1.1 for the ability to save and recall saved plots).

There's a sticky thread here in the MoBo forum titled "Tutorials and Examples" where you can find those stationing examples.

If you like I could still post the solution to one or two of those Chapter 11 problems.

Last edited by XLjedi; 06-12-08 at 06:57 PM.