Old 05-01-08, 10:33 AM   #453
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Gruber
@OLC

I've not loaded 2.0 yet but your logic sounds good, i'm glad you're appreciative of the need for situational awareness without GPS map updates. I was using the Modified Map Updates mod which basicly revealed a circle when you hovered your mouse in the vacinity of the ship on which your periscope was locked. This would mean you would have to get range and bearing and roughly plot it on the map to find the map point where the ship should be, hovering over this point revealed a circle which disapeared if you moved your mouse away. This might help Greg, or those trying to get to grips with the more realistic map updates, as it acts as confirmation that you've got the plot right.

Then again, maybe they should just work harder :rotfl:
I didn't know about that "Modified Map Updates" mod but from your description it sounds similar to one of the ideas I played around with. My problem with that solution was simply that the circle was far too accurate for my liking. You can just zoom right in on it and slap down a Marker in the middle of the cirlce and you have the ship position accurate to like 3 feet. I don't like having the option to do that. I find a missed torpedo to be much too frustrating if I know I could have guaranteed a hit by "cheating" on the navmap, so I've tried to find a solution for map contacts which doesn't have any "cheats".

I did actually discover one cheat since posting 2.0.1, and the fix for it means losing map contacts from the F6 attack map altogether, but I doubt anyone will really miss those.