View Single Post
Old 04-16-08, 09:49 AM   #25
Graf Paper
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 2

As a relatively new but very active member of the community and longtime resident of the internet (anyone remember using Kermit?) I'm very puzzled over your position on this matter, Ven.

Here's where I see the disconnect in your reasoning...

You create mods with no regard for profit, purely for the love of the game and the pride in a job well done. Isn't it better for millions to actually see and use your creations than to restrict access to "members only"?

I'd say the fact that anyone bothers to use their time, bandwidth, and storage space is already an admission that your mod is obviously good enough to catch attention.

I truly do wish everyone who downloads anything offered up by the community would take the time to express their appreciation as a matter course because that's just good manners.

But locking the doors just to force such appreciation from people would make "thank-you" a meaningless platitude from "leechers" doing what they must to get the file ( and then they'd upload it elsewhere so others can download it without any restrictions or your knowledge ).

At one time, software was entirely free and freely shared, one person's source code being refined and improved by many. Then some young upstart got mad that his work wasn't being properly appreciated and began charging money for his programs. He publicly berated fellow computer enthusiasts for sharing things that took him so much effort to create.

Next thing you know, everyone was charging money for their software and almost none were sharing. Those who did continue to share became labeled as "pirates" and law-breakers.

That young man who started this trend was named Bill Gates.

If your own ego insists on requiring acknowledgement for your work, then keep your mods at BtS, where you must register to access downloads, or password protect your mods so people have to register and PM you for the password to unlock the ZIP file.

Just be prepared to see attention to your mods drop off when you do that.

I've lost count of the number of times I would pass on a mod, no matter how great it was, because the mod's site made you jump through hoops to get to the download.

I wish I had even a tenth of your modding skills, Venatore. I'd look upon every download of my mod as a source of pride because people thought it was too good to pass up!

Ubisoft has freely given you their goodwill by allowing you to create mods for their copyrighted work when they could just as easily sue you into oblivion for infringement.

Other modders have freely given you their knowledge and help, which they gained from long experience, so your own work could grow and improve.

This community has freely welcomed you with open arms and much appreciation for your mods and given you an outlet for your work to be noticed by millions of people.

Neal has freely given all of us a place to gather and share our thoughts, talents, feelings, and lives as a rowdy, goofy, and unique community.

As it has been said, "Freely you have been given, freely you must give."

You're a greatly talented modder, Venatore. I've said it before but I can still say it again with all sincerity...

Thank you for sharing your mods and the hard work you put into these fantastic creations!