View Single Post
Old 04-05-08, 03:46 PM   #17
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0
SH3 -> SH4 "conversion"

Look - it drives me nuts to see this continually thrown out here - and by a number of folks I respect from my SH3 days. As much as some people are going to hate it - accept the fact that SH3 is not and could not stay the "Premier" submarine simulation for all eternity. Instead of all this "Atlantic" vs "Pacific" nonsense, lets realize that everyone has a "theatre of operations" they like over the other. Just because some may like the Atlantic more, doesn't mean that SH4 is not a superior "game" in technical aspects. SH3 will NOT be "ported" to SH4 - simply because SH3 data, while a FOUNDATION for things in SH4 - is not really compatible with the extra thing that the sh4 engine added.

Ultimately, SH3 (and the GWX 2 mod data) will ultimately help shape the way any SH4 Atlantik mod is done - and that is a credit to both the devs and modders of SH3. And who is to say that Ubi won't decide to develop SH5 (or another SH4 expansion) in the Atlantic. After all - with SH3 - thats how we learned there would be an SH4.

This back and forth on "porting" sh3 into sh4 seems more like a turf war between people than it does about the greatness of both SH3 and SH4. They both aim to simulate WW2 submarine warfare, and they both due an admirable job of it within the technical limitations each has. Can they be improved - of course. Especially SH4, since it has not had the "maturation" time that SH3 has.

Yes, Sh4 is an evolutionary product of SH3 - and a new atlantic campaign via mod or expansion would be an evolutionary product of SH4 - but that doesnt mean that such a campaign would be SH3 in SH4 clothing. SH3 got a lot of things right, but it also had alot of room for improvement. If it didn't, why was GWX created? Anyone who has played GWX vs stock will tell you that its almost 2 seperate games! The same applies for SH3 and SH4 - and thus a SH4 Atlantic mod/expansion will be the same - a different game. In fact, playing the UBM is a different game than it is when playing fleetboats. *Again, if it wasn't, why make it?*

Ultimately, alot of folks are working on an "Atlantic" mod - even if they don't know it. Everything from adding bases, tweaking sensors, ships, and everything else modders can do will contribute to such a mod. It may not be fully defined as a project yet, then again, it might. RR indicates it is and I have no reason to doubt him.

But let's stop the SH3 to SH4 conversion talk - it won't work. Nor would GWX port. And there is no reason to have to ***** out words, take a deep breath and lets not get too sensative - we are all among friends. Its ok to disagree, but be decent about eh, old chap?

Captain Haplo