View Single Post
Old 04-03-08, 01:08 PM   #30
mikeydredd
Bosun

Downloads: 36
Uploads: 0

This is the point I was trying to make. The only window of opportunity available to the Germans to win the war, or at least their part of the war, was in the late 1941- mid 1942 timescale, by knocking the Russians out. The Japanese were well placed with their armies in Manchuria to help. They didn't make the most of that opportunity. And subsequently lost the strategic initiative to the Russians and then the Americans in deciding the future conduct of the war.

Panacea weapons systems such as fancy U boats, no matter how technologically advanced, could not and did not alter that fact. An exact analogy would be their development of their Tiger tanks. Very fine weapons, far superior in many ways to anything the allies had, yet made in such small numbers that they accomplished nothing in any strategic sense, apart from tie up vast amounts of very scarce German resources, which arguably could have been better spent elsewhere.

I entirely agree with Rockin Robbins. The only thing they were then in a position to decide was how long they would keep on fighting, hoping to delay the by then inevitable conclusion of WW2, which was that they would lose. Quite simply as, strategically, they were not in a position to win it.

It could be argued that they were never in a position to "win", certainly not after the US became involved. They came closest to it in the winter of 1941, and then the summer of 1942. The Japanese could have helped in the winter of 1941 by tying up Russian units facing them, rather than allowing these units, lead by Zhukov, by then virtually the only Russian commander of any talent left, to be moved west to successfully defend Moscow.

And thank god for that, which is why I'm writing this in English rather than German.

Have nice day!
mikeydredd is offline   Reply With Quote