Downloads: 36
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqk7744
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBeast
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqk7744
How's the new rig shaping-up? Can you get a APC UPS 750es or equiv in your waters?

Cheers,
-sqk
This is a forced upgrade, because the motherboard on our current rig is living on borrowed time. So I only ordered the bare essentials (motherboard, CPU, RAM, graphics card, hard disk...the price you pay when a four-year-old PC needs to be replaced). Placed the order on Friday, I'll hear from the guys tomorrow hopefully about the availability of the CPU I ordered (brand new Wolfdale, the E8200!).
A UPS will certainly be our next target, once we can afford it; brownouts over here are a freaking plague. Don't know about that specific model, but APC is a well-known brand.
Hi DrBeast,

Sounds like quite the overhaul in dry dock. Did you add a new power supply (ps) along with the other upgrades? You want to be careful that the old PS can handle all the new goodies. I spent a stretch in Los Angeles and a UPS came most in handy during all those Enron related rolling blackouts.

best,
-sqk
I got a new PSU before ordering all those parts, because I thought the high-pitched sound came from the old PSU. When I discovered it didn't, my next thought was "crud, this rig needs a total rehaul". It's a fairly cheap 420W PSU, my only concern with it is the 16A output of the +12V rail (for the GPU), but the graphics card I ordered isn't all that power-hungry, so it should make do.
All the parts except the CPU have arrived already, we still don't have an ETA for the CPU (the caveats of newly released hardware), but in the meantime I added another 1 GB stick to the above list, since RAM is dirt cheap. I mean, it's either two pizzas, or 1 more GB. I could live with two less pizzas this month! :rotfl:
Oh, and I also decided than enough is enough with Greek Windoze, so in the new rig I'll install English (definitely less prone to stupid errors than Greek).

Let the Beast inside you free!
DrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote