View Single Post
Old 02-17-08, 06:11 AM   #13
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 302
Uploads: 0

Allright, I missed that part about his course change then. Also I'm sorry if I sounded a little tough. Bad excuse, but it was getting late. Anyway, I think he is getting confused on what the narrow band suite is showing him.

The top window shows frequency(horizontal) versus time(vertical) of only one bearing out of 360 degrees. This bearing is selected by clicking and moving the cursor in the bottom window. That one shows signal level(vertical) versus bearing(horizontal). As long as the cursor in the bottom windows stay put the top window can't show sound from other directions. The middle window is only showing what the sound ID database thinks it hears. You can ignore that for now if you only have 1 or 2 lines. On the bottom window only loud contact stand out as a peak. You won't notice silent subs in that wobbly noisy graph. But they are there. You do scan a bearing in it, but only look for evidence of a contact by looking for lines in the frequency window. Those are not going to wave left or right, just fade-in or -out. When he found a 50hz signal on one bearing there should also be a 50 hz sound on a bearing that is "2xCourse - target bearing" (maybe need to correct by subtracting/adding 360 deg) So if he's on course 38 and detects a contact on true bearing 178, the other signal is on 2x38-178=76-178=-102=258. Both bearings are equal distances to your course or TA direction. If you confirm there is a contact on 258 you write both down, or assign a tracker to each. I preffer the former, as there are only so many trackers you can assign (4), and paper is cheap. But assigning a tracker is best if you are learning, because you can see it happen on the map. Make sure you turn OFF auto-TMA before doing this, or that crew member will take away the fun.

Now, do the turn (let's say 30 degrees, and atleast some 4 minutes after assigning the trackers because they need to average out or something) and wait until the TA is straigtened and has been towed past the turn end point. (this can take a long while if you are slow, do not extend the TA fully, a 3rd is enough most of the time) Then try those bearings again. Which one stayed put? (within a few degrees, as it may move on it's own if the turn and straightening took a long while) That is the true contact. Which one isn't there any more, that one is likely the mirror/fake contact.

Last edited by Pisces; 02-17-08 at 06:26 AM.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote