View Single Post
Old 02-13-08, 07:06 PM   #17
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade22
condor definitly gets my heart pounding and captures the thrill of long low final glides to the finish line in online multiplayer competition.
And on the last two km you realise that there is another ridge you need to climb over - yeah, I know what you mean: had that kind of bad surprise two times now, at porta westfalica, and already cut some treetips hopping over that obstacle in last second...

you are right, soaring, even if only simulated, needs a lot of knowledge and experience that you cannot gain with having flown motorized flight sims since years. I considered myself to be a veteran simulation flyer (flight sims from the very first generation on), but learned that I am a novice of first degree when it comes to soaring. A lot of background calculation ticking in the backspace of my brain constantly, and much wondering why here I have no lift, and where that thermal suddenly has gone, and why I have fallen back 3 km when circling. It definitely is a challenge to learn all this, and needs much more situational awareness than let's say a dogfight simulator like IL2. It is difficult, but because of that: satisfying to really land at home instead on some goodforsaken meadow At least I know now why it takes at least two years in Germany to complete your soaring license.