View Single Post
Old 01-21-08, 06:00 PM   #24
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

when I have problems with a digital bugger that does not go away by the first run of dedicated scanners or removal tools (happened only once, several years ago), I loose all faith in following attempts and methods immediately and cannot trust any apparent positive outcome anymore. Thus I turn into Terminator mode, terminate the current installation, reformat the HD several times, switch on and off power between the runs, and then reboot with OLD safe discs (thus not affected by latest problems) and copy over an image from a separate HD (that's how I do it today), or reinstalled manually (that's whyt I did back then). that may be considered to be overkill, but the charming thing of overkill is that it's efficiency is irresistable.
You see, any backup of files you do after thinking to have removed a problem while it still is there in the hidden - gives you the risk of infected backup files that will be a constant sources of pleasure in the future. I do not accept that risk.

Guys, invest into a second HD that is not regularly attached to your computer, but is stored away in a hidden place, and into according software like Acronis, and make regular updates of your important files and save games once every ten days or so to USB stick or disc. Manually install your system and all you wanted software, and then make an image of it, hide it and declare it holy and untouchable. After the first infection troubles you were in you will agree that this probably is the best investement into your PC system that you ever can do. It is also nice to reinstall your system easily this way once in a year, to get rid of all the unwanted ballast that has acucmulated and messed up the structure of files on your HD. all ypou manually have to adjust is updates, and changed working files, save games, etc. the rest is time consuming, but works all by itself, no need for you to monitor the PC working.