View Single Post
Old 12-03-07, 09:03 PM   #11
cdragon
Sailor man

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB..
yes that's the sort of thing..not that off topic really..as devs could build a chat facility into their games with a nicely designed interface ..perhaps making the chat appear to be in the form of letters from home...to be read in the captains cabin or at home port ..or even as mentioned transmitted by morselamp from an AI sub...or appearing as a radio message in the same way as normal radio messages appear...you perhaps wouldn't even need to be online to use this facility as you could download a cached set of messages each with a delay set up so they would appear to be recieved at random moments during the next few missions etc...and it could be very nicel incorporated wth a simple SEND MISSION REPORT button on the end mission screen when you have reached home base as a natural part of the gameplay and interface..it could even be set up so that the information is stored in a file with the option to upload the file the next time you go online..that way you do not have to mess about connecting to the internet at the end of the mission..it can wait untill you go online normaly..no hassle..no finding websites..just set as an option to automaticly upload and download the info..the next time you go online..

i like the idea of a flottilla bar room (ala AOTD)..where you could even interact with avatars....whilst a captain is at sea their avatar would be absent...you could read his mission reports and so on on a notice board..if he dies then for the rest of that campaign his avatar and messages would be no longer downloaded with the others...(even tho he may have started a new campaign and up,loaded his new capatains items)...rucks of detail and fun and entertaining little touchs that would be dynamic and relevant and inteactive and real (in a multiplayer sense) yet absolutely no need for any multiplayer engine at all...for example if one of your flottilla online buddys dies or sinks a ship...your map screen could be updated to show when where and what was sunk or where he met his untimely end so to speak...IMO that would actualy be far more satisfying than genuine multiplayer..which with the best will in the world is nearly allways very limited in scope...
Second Life + u-boat sim, maybe a Great War naval sim, with a broad selection of missions, both surface and subsurface. I've always valued game play over visuals, so I'd even go for ALL platforms being playable, with a generic interface for each type, with an available modders SDK to supply more appropriate interfaces for each platform. And I'd choose WWI of WWII because WWII's been done to death.
cdragon is offline   Reply With Quote