View Single Post
Old 11-27-07, 10:46 AM   #13
FERdeBOER
XO

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 1

OK... I've been doing a small test.

It's about how to make acceptable random civilian "shiplanes" without finishing with the mission editor map plenty of ships and route lines.

I used "suicide attack". With this, you can place the ships wherever you want and will be sure they will head to port... sounds great, really? No! We face one of the game bugs: the AI is stupid and if an island is between the ship an its objetive...

This problem is not only with suicide attacks; the same happens whit other options.
I've tried the "pathfinding" and "avoid collision" scripts, but nothing...

But, when the area is clear between the ship and port, the "solution" works... well, not allways, as some ships instead of heading to port just turn arround 180º and others (generally those with speeds bellow 8 knots) reduce their speed to 3-4 knots. But I think we could live with that.

I've made this example with 15 minutes before the trigger fires so it can be visible the turning of the ships, but can be done just at the beginning of the scenario.

This is the editor map when this is done. As you can see, one script for all ships is enought. For making the map even more clear it can be done creating a dynamic group and all ships in the center with a random box, but I think this could make that sometimes some ships will appear together and collide.

Remains the final step, that would be to create a script to stop the ships before they collide against port. I fear this will force us to use one script for each ship, but...

kage, can You (or SuBB) tell us some of how you create your "dynamics"?

Thanks

Last edited by FERdeBOER; 11-27-07 at 01:59 PM.
FERdeBOER is offline   Reply With Quote