View Single Post
Old 09-03-07, 09:54 AM   #85
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 93
Uploads: 0

Try www.replacementdocs.com - they have manuals for quite a few older games.

I, also, use DOSBOX all the time. What a great piece of software. For those who think it is too technically complicated, they probably have no idea as to what trouble we really went through with DOS to get games to run: memory managers, disk compression technology, interrupt handlers, etc...

I remember having a menu of various boot configurations which would came up depending on which game I wanted to play.

Actually, many of these older games are enhanced by being able to run them under Windows.

You have the full use of your PC for other things now while playing.

You can manipulate auto-saves and other things to develop background game checkpointing facilities.

Since DOS games tend to be very menu/keystroke intensive, they work much better with gaming programmable keyboards like Logitech's G-15 series, ...

You can run in a Window on a second monitor when the game has gotten kind of uninteresting ... do something else ... and keep your eye on the game.

I've even played AOD DOS when it was stuck on 64X compression while returning to base ... put AOD in a window ... and play 1830 (an old DOS stock trading game) in another window on another monitor on a separate processor while my u-boat made the long trip back to France. With true DOS, I guess I would have been sitting in front of my PC reading a book for a few hours.