View Single Post
Old 05-22-07, 01:13 PM   #43
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 93
Uploads: 0

Neil,

Regarding CAOD and Win95/98, I would run either Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 or 2007 (free download) under XP or Vista. Effectively, you can then have a 95 or 98 virtual machine running under XP or Vista upon which you can install CAOD. You can share files between the virtual machine and the host. So, you can have easy access to the games installed outside of the virtual machine. Additionally, a virtual machine can be unloaded and reloaded as it exists in memory. So, if you recall AOD does not allow you to save a game in the heat of battle, but with Virtual PC, you can do exactly that save.

It is said that Virtual PC will only run on XP Pro, but I heard that you can ignore the warnings during install and still get it to work on XP Home. However, I have XP Pro ... so, I wouldn't know for sure.

Neil, regarding your offer to write a tutorial, I will consider it. However, at the moment, I am in poor health and don't see myself volunteering for anything. Although I do agree that a general guide to playing older subsims (on newer hardware) would be a valuable addition to the site. Especially, since many of those who would like to play the older games tend to be the less technical among the community. Myself, I am 48, but systems is my profession. So, this stuff comes easy.