View Single Post
Old 04-13-07, 11:22 AM   #15
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344
Uploads: 0

Having reflected a bit more on Geetrue's story, it seems the most logical explanation.

I had read the official report and a book on the sinking eons ago. The official story implied that the crew had somehow panicked which prevented them for surfacing. That part never really made sense to me, that 100% of a highly trained crew would panic bringing about the destruction of the boat. Geetrue's story, that the crew did everything by the book, but were misled by the incorrectly wired green/red lights makes sense.

I can also see why the story was hushed up. Adm. Rickover had built the entire US nuclear sub program on the basis that the subs were 100% safe. The story that someone's bonehead mistake had resulted in the loss of a sub and the death of 129 persons would have pretty much wiped out that safety reputation.

I found this navy powerpoint on the SUBSAFE program.

http://ses.gsfc.nasa.gov/ses_data_20..._Iwanowicz.ppt

I sticks to the official story, but now I can see why there is such a huge emphasis on making sure a sub can surface in any situation. I presume also that now everyone triple checks that everything is properly wired.
Bilge_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote