View Single Post
Old 03-31-07, 12:37 PM   #135
Dizoak
Sailor man

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
December 14th, 1941

Four days into our patrol of the Luzon Straight, the USS Saury picks up high-speed screws heading right across our path, plotting the intercept tells us that they will pass only 1.5 km away from our bow tubes.

Perfect. The sub sits at periscope depth, skulking, when we spot smoke on the horizon and soon enough, what must have been a surface support group steams into view, 8 destroyers in a wedge formation in front and sides, and forming the center division, two Kongo class battleships and two Takao class heavy cruisers.

Replotting their course, I now found that they would pass away, just out of optimum range at about 2.5 km, so in order to lessen my chances for a dud or prematature explosion, i set a new course....and then my crew kicks the sub into ahead-standard. OH CR*P! all stop! all stop! rig for silent running!

at this point, the three nearest destroyers (apparently not all THAT stupid) kick it into high gear and start pinging me like crazy, as they're closing i line up a shot on the nearest one, open tube 1 and shoot. as soon as tube 1 fires, im lining up shots on the center division, two fish for the Kongo and one for the Takao.

that destroyer cant be more than 800 meters at this point
CRASH DIVE! CRASH DIVE!
as we're sinking rapidly into the black, we hear the first explosion.
then, slightly later as we're leveling off at 60 meters, we hear three more.

i can only say i wish i had taken screenies...cuz you'll never believe any of it.

all my torps hit home. the first destroyer snapped in two and went down in about 30 seconds after impact. the Kongo took two torps aft of the bridge, one of which hit the prop shaft right where it exits the hull tearing a huge freakin hole in engineering, she immediately heeled over to about 20 degrees and went dead in the water, a thick black pall of smoke billowing from her aft gun deck.

i didnt even see the Takao get hit, when i saw the Kongo, i noticed another ship rolling over and heading down, quickly pausing the game for a second i zoomed in and there she was, a huge hole right beneath the bridge.

as i snuck away, the destroyers were trying to DC me to death but i was too deep.

so net total: one of each (DD,CA,BB)
Dizoak is offline   Reply With Quote