Old 02-14-07, 12:33 AM   #4
Kazuaki Shimazaki II
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuftWolf
This has recently come up...

I'm not convinced it's possible for a FCR to paint a missile as small as an SM-2, that also has its speed and maneoverability.
Speed ... we're in the age of shooting down ballistic missiles. If the SM-2 cannot handle the target's speed, that's SM-2's problem, not anyone elses.

Maneuverability ... the SM-2 might be maneuverable to match the turn of its targets. However, in surface attack mode, the SM-2 is hitting an effectively stationary target and will not maneuver. Thus, the trajectory is an easily predictable, aeroballistic parabola.

Size: The SM-2 is pretty small, but at ~600kg weight and 34cm diameter, it is not smaller than Harpoon. It is also bigger than the 122mm artillery rockets the SA-15 was tested against.

Quote:
I've just never heard of SAM's shooting down other SAM's before... perhaps a RAM SAM should shoot down an SM-2, but I'm not convinced an SM-2 could shoot down an SM-2, let alone an SA-9 or any other SAM.
Actually, at least one of Patriot's TBM tests was a shot at one of its own simulating a SRBM.

Quote:
Also, this would make an inconsistency with the FFG7, since the fix cannot be applied to that platform, as it is a playable.
A problem there, but that's separate from whether it is appropriate to do so.

There's no reason to presume newer SAMs have no capability to shoot down surface-attack SAMs (they are effectively small SRBMs in that role, with no decoys, and I don't think anybody disputes that modern SAMs can successfully engage SRBMs).
Kazuaki Shimazaki II is offline   Reply With Quote