Old 02-01-07, 12:17 PM   #6
LoBlo
Subsim Diehard

Downloads: 78
Uploads: 3

Thanks for the interest guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellman
You might want to finesse the levels by category - whale farting is hard on the drums !
Actually I was thinking about changing the whale sound to just a bunch of farting... what'd expect from somthing that eats shrimp and seaweed all day long

So, I've made some starting tweaks and think the results are better but the issues are two. First, how loud/close is reasonable for the sounds to really start being distinguishable. And second, after a sound effect is increased so much, the distortion in the original sound is brought out as well.

So far I've upped most of the broadband sounds between 2-3 fold (except whale farting, that's increased about 10 fold). The result is that at 5 knots, you can really hear the loudest platforms distinct sounds pretty good at around 5nm... things like carriers, supertankers, and anything with SL around 80-85 come out pretty well at that range. The quieter things like CGs (SL 69) and idling fishing boats (SL 65) are still pretty indistinguishable even at close ranges (2-3nm).

I could up there sound effects even more... just gotta remember that all the distortion in the sound (inaudible at low volumes) get increased as well and the quality of the sound may be less... then again, what good is good quality sound if it never comes out in the game...

more tweaking in order.