View Single Post
Old 10-16-06, 08:59 AM   #3
horsa
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 3

It’s interesting how films often have their subliminal messages ( or maybe in some cases not so subliminal) . There’s a guiding hand there that must have its say.

My favourite is in James Cameron’s Titanic. Early in the film we are told
” Titanic , English ? - Naw, it’s made by big Irish hands” . This point of view is understandable because the ship is the real hero of the film and its demise is so obviously the fault of the arrogant, insensitive English whose incompetence drives her inevitably onto the iceberg. The Irish have also clearly invented the violin and are thus the only people capable of actually enjoying themselves.

I always had a gut feeling that James Cameron might be tempted do to a remake of “Sink the Bismarck”. I’m sure “the English” ( never British) would be portrayed as complacent incompetents in sneering pursuit of the noble but fatally doomed crew of the Bismarck. Contrast that with this version which rather overplays the weary, stiff upper lip attitude of “ we have a job to do and if that involves sinking the Bismarck I suppose we’d better get on with it” .

Was Kenneth More really what casting directors thought the British public wanted to see as their archetypal hero ? A different age, I suppose, when it was assumed we all accepted our class values. Heroes were always middle class and had the unquestioning obedience and admiration of innocent working class underlings, ready with a happy smile to “have just one more go, sir”. If you get to see the film again watch the office staff in the background . They NEVER TALK. They all silently and without fuss move from one filing cabinet to another, quietly “doing their duty”. Shades of Stepford Wives controlled from somewhere else. Makes you shudder.
horsa is offline   Reply With Quote