View Single Post
Old 10-07-06, 04:56 PM   #4
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

As im not a blue water skipper or a limited blue water anyways, i have found that in the winter months (its winter for around 9 months) the ice is not as noise as the summer months so the back ground noise differs very slightly.

The more traffic you have the harder it is to find contacts, i would personaly travel right under a ship then travel either side or away from it, it makes more tactical sence to mask your own noise using other traffic then it does to just go slow.

Time of year, weather, type of bottom mud and sand absord sound more then a rock bottom, thermoclines, polyna, iceburgs, sheet ice, plate ice, pack ice, temprature of the water, all affect noise levels and achostic frequencies.

August 1200 in the mid pacific would be probably be 28 degrees slight winds state 2 seas which would mean that noise will travel further then in february when its cold wet and what have you so yes it does change.

For me ive been diving akulas under ice since sub command verious times of year verious locations and the noise does change, im pretty good with navigation i have navigated some real tricky paths including the bearing straight (that alone took 27 hours) ive also navigated the kara sea into the laptev sea (that took 53 hours) the longest stint ive done was a trailing of a chinese Xia class SBN in the bearing sea area which lasted 8 days.

If your good at weather patterns tactics and overall patient then i would definatly advise you to come under ice, i will work around 35 meters 4 knots.

Many have said it doesnt matter what the weather is like on the topside if your under ice well it is because the weather defines how fast the ice will move or melt and how big the polyna is (use Shift + I twice to get a good ice map on the nav screen).

Background noise is diffrent where ever you go when ever you go it is always changing if you want more info about it just PM me or something.

Yes the more ships in the scenario the worse the back ground noise is, the worst are whales, you need to mark locate track and find out who is who once you done that you have a tactical grip on your situation there fore you need to then find the enamy i can do that in roughly 10 mins marking upto 50 ships and locate track and have master contacts on them.

If you increase the background noise by making your ship the emmiter then chances are you are just cutting your own throat, in the akula i can tell when some one has opened thier torpedo tube doors or raised a mast even in such subs as seawolfs, these little things can give you away to any one no matter how super quiet your sub is.

Golden rule is if you can hear them they probably can hear you, he who makes a sound first will die first.

in the last 6 months of playing single player ive tracked 2 seawolves 1 688i 1 ohio 1 trafalgar 2 rubis and more then 350 surface ships, with 98% sucsess (was counter detected 4 times).

When i deployed to the med i ran under the nitmitz class carrier John C Stennis i tracked her for 8 hours then decided to run ahead and take pictures, hgowever i got my calculations badly wrong and in the end the 91,000 tonne carrier just ran over me.

If you place your vessel so that your propellor is just under the surface ships propellor the surface ship will cancel out your noise (as its louder) so effectivly you are not there, this means that you can then havea better advantage in terms of quietness but also a weaker one in detection.

A good tactic to use to beat waiting submarines who want to track you also a good tactic for beeting sosus and surface ships who are also trying to track.

any more info please PM me

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is online   Reply With Quote