View Single Post
Old 10-07-06, 11:11 AM   #3
feld
Loader

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Thanks for the input! I hadn't thought about ice noise...have you noticed if the time of year changes the amount of background noise under the ice? I haven't played up there much...

Have you noticed if in game background noise actually changes with shipping density like you mention below?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitan
Background noise such as large merchant ships or any ship for that matter can hamper detection whats even worse is if the enamy submarine is acctualy underneath that said vessel as the surface vessel will drown out any submarine noise.
But back ground noise in general can make you miss things on the sonar screen.
As near as I can tell from the tests I've run (all tests on a 688i, only using spherical array, in august, Western Pacific, bottom limited environment, at 1200 hours local time).
- Sea state plus self noise determines the "static" level that appears on broadband display.
- Self noise depends on speed and flow over the hull. So, when I raise masts or open shutter doors I get a step rise in the noise on my spherical array broadband display.

Now, I know that the # of ships present *should* raise background noise...but I have so far been unable to tell if it actually does. This seems important for missions in the chokepoint straits where shipping density is really high. Which is...after all...where the targets are
feld is offline   Reply With Quote