Thread: Flyboys
View Single Post
Old 09-25-06, 06:50 PM   #6
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I haven't seen it yet; probably will this weekend.

If you like WWI aviation movies, I would recommend these two:

1) Wings. Black & white, silent, made in 1927, uses a couple of WWI leftovers, but mostly U.S. biplanes from the '20s. Won the first ever 'Best Picture' Oscar. Like all of its successors it has a lot of schmaltz, but it also has things like a town built in the country actually being bombed with real bombs (state of the art FX at the time) and some killer flying sequences.

2) Young Indiana Jones and the Attack of the Hawkmen. Part of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles TV series from George Lucas. Some silliness, but von Richtofen is in the proper Albatros, and it features a very nice replica Sopwith 1-1/2 Strutter. In one sequence Indy (who is with the group as a photographer) is shot down and captured by von Richtofen, and then has lunch with the Germans prior to being sent to a prison camp (actually prior to escaping, of course). The Baron says he deplores camouflage and that "I want my enemies to see me coming!"

Indy replies "Why don't you paint your plane red, then?" The Baron contemplates...