View Single Post
Old 05-05-24, 05:34 AM   #387
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

As a reminder, Meta is clearing its remaining stocks of Quest 2s, which come in 128 and 256 GB versions. The first is juicy an offer, the latter is no more: see the costs below.

In Germany, Amazon offers these 128 GB versions for 250 coins.

I usually would not recommend to go with it anymore if you want a VR headset for general, mutliple uses. But if you are believing that you know yourself good enough to say you are interested only in a very special, clearly defined subsection of the huge software market for VR, and these are titles - or is just one title - that do not need or do not run in Passthrough (=mixed reality) mode, then this offer might be for you, because it saves you an awesome lot of money. I have especially those titles on mind that are not technically extremely demanding (Quest 2 has significantly less performance power than Quest 3) and that are known to show only minor visual differences between both versions. Of course, dont expect that you could save 300 coins over the Quest 3 and get the exact same experience, you would deceive yourselfg there, but the Quest 2 is still good enough that it hinders many users to migrate to the Quest 3 already and is the most sold headset so far, I think thats not for no reason. Quest 3 sales are good, but are still handicapped by the popularity of the Quest 2, without the Quest 2 around, Quest 3's sale numbers would explode.

I mention this only for those who consider themselves interested in VR but are scared away by the price. You get a bit less, yes, but compare the prices:

Quest 2 128 MB - 250 coins
Quest 2 256 GB - 500 coins
Quest 2 + Elite Headstrap+Battery - 300 coins
vs.
Quest 3 128 GB - 550 coins
Quest 3 512 GB - 700 coins
(German Amazon prices)

The headstrap with battery alone usually costs 150 coins, both for Q2 and Q3.

The Quest 2 with 256 GB cannot be recommended, it has a clearly disadvantegous bang-for-the-buck ratio.

Its a compromise that may work well if you really know you want to limit to such specified titles to use. However, my general recommendation stands, its in favour of the Quest 3.

Last edited by Skybird; 05-05-24 at 06:28 AM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote