View Single Post
Old 02-24-24, 06:25 AM   #303
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

And this news is very important, I missed it ten days ago: Microsoft ditched support for Windows Mixed Reality (WMR)-based headsets, they will not work under Windows 11 from update 24H2 on.

So, if you considered to buy a WMR-based VR headset for pC, you better don't.

https://www.neowin.net/news/windows-...4h2-and-newer/

How much I love Microschrott. I stay with W10, but wonder how long my G2, which is WMR, will continue to work. For racing, my PC is not strong enough to reliably support my Quest 3 linked to PC. I have just done my yearly (!!) update to W10, and plan to block further uopdate suhto,next year anyway. i wonder whether I should risk to ever update it again at all. Think I will not.

The best is that it is again Microsoft's own fault. They never cared for fixing the often erratically working WMR system and its inherent unreliability, but accused their customers of not being grateful for the mediocre mess they released at overpriced conditions. I hate to say it but: typically Microsoft.

It seems that the mnarket doe snot see several manfacturers agrreeing to unify their diferrent standards for VR, but that all developers except just Meta and maybe Valve simply will drop out. And what becomes of Apple's Vision Pro remains to be seen. A gamer's first choice it is not. Sony step to maybe open its PS headset for PC maybe is just born out of despoair: VR doe snot go too well on PS, but that is due to a lack of attractive VR games on VR. They better go all the way - or do not even care to follow it any further, but half-hearted.

The day when I lose the G2 workability and must use Meta's headset even on my 7 years old PC may be the day I get a new PC capable to run the Quest 3 even with complex sims. Or the Quest 4 or 5 or whatever it may be by then.

Moral of the story: I have one argument more for not voluntarily buy anything with the Microsoft label on it. Windows however is hard to avoid. But beyond that? No, thanks, even if they would pay me for using their stuff.