View Single Post
Old 02-05-24, 11:22 AM   #276
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
I'm starting to get very nervous, it's so much to have in mind.
Though more videos I watch though more uncertain I become.
Dont worry. Prepare in stages. One or two days before the set arrives, install the app in your tablet/smartphone. Then you must not do it on "installation day". Watch that Meta video again one day before arrival, and make mental notes on the sequence of steps. The Quest also will guide you through the process, live. Really, its not to be worried about, i did it twice, and it worked both times smooth and free of problems.

Quote:
I am going to buy a set and I am going to buy these two sport-equipment to these two sport game-Golf+ and Tennis.
Wait with the tennis grip, no matter whether you mean table tennis or real tennis, it is nice to have, but not essential. Test the game you have on mind before. I play First Person Tennis with controller only and cannot complain. Eleven Table Tennis I use an adapter, yes.But even wothout it is one of the Must-Have titles. It simply the best sports game - the best simulation of a real sport - ever created so far: with and without adpater grip. Dont thrtow your money away too easily. Check in steps, and then decide. Its easy to spend a fortune on VR. But it is not necessary.

The decisive tool to have is the golf adapter, this one makes an undeniably stellar difference. If you want to play Golf, get it. The DeadEye VR adapters are probably the best in town, that company's DriVR 3 Pro is the one I use, its 10 cm shorter than the newer DriVR Elite. Check your playing room's free space.

Quote:
While watching a YT video about games I came to a game where you fly an American fighter plane in the Pacific during WWII where each operation starts and ends on a carrier that game looked very interesting.
I think I know which one you mean, I have it. My tip would be to go with the WW1 game in that series, the planes' speeds suit the limited air spaces dimensions better. There is also a modern air warfare game in that series, but peopel complained that all stuff in that, fighters and helicpters alike, fly more or less the same. But the WW1 and WW2 games are not bad, though not super-realistic. Arcade meets reasonably profound pyhsics. My tipm would be: bookmark it on the wishlist, and wait for a sale.

Once you have established a working PC-Quest link and Virtual Desktop installed, consider to get VTOL for PC on Steam, its a flightsim developed for VR from had to toe, and it shows it, and its brilliant, feels like the best of Microprose sims transported to the present. But first you must be sure your PC actually can handle both the game and the Quest - link you said the shop owner recommended you to expect not too much, or not?!

Quote:
I'm also thinking about going 3D on my ETS 2 if possible.
Again, dont forget what the shop owner told you on your PC. Note that we now speak about a non-native game for Quest, a PC title. Your PC must be such that it can run both ETS2 well and then the additional workload of mirroring the visual results of that into the headset. Cant give you advice, you just must try it out. But make it a lower point on your list of to-dos with the new toy you get.

You want to test whether your PC handles Google Earth mirrored into the Quest. If so, you are in for something big. Its a must have combo. Else you must reduce the experience to just Streetview (works in Quest autonomously).

Quote:
And I'm going to follow your rules about playing a few minutes each time the first week or so and then adding some minutes to my gameplay time.
This to avoid motion sickness.
Maybe you find out you are not prone at all. At first, its sufficient if you react if you realise you start to feel uncomfrotable. Because if you ignore it for too long, it gets worse and worse - and then can last for hours after you stopped playing. Just try it out and wait and see what happens. You will find out soon enough. If you start to feel not well - stop. Thats all. If you do not feel ill, there is no need to stop playing. - Myself, I can play in Vr for hours, everything, and dont get ill.

Quote:
I'm also looking forward to watch movies, which should be something special.
It is! One of my favourite uses in VR.The apps you want to check out for that are Virtual Desktop (which is anyway a musthave, in my opinion, an dfor me the easiest and most reliable way to connect the headset to the PC without any problems, and with sound), and BigScreen. Both give oyu severla cinema halls to choose from.:
Virtual Desktop I use to watch from disc. You launch he app in Quest 3, you launch the partner app on PC. The VD screen from the PC then repalkces the n atiuve VD interfac ein the headset - you see the desktop form the PC in the headset then, and what surrounding you have depends on the mods for environments oyu have previously misntaled on PC via Steam Workshop. The movie from disc you then handle the same way you would as if you would watch it on PC and your monitor, the controlelrs only repalce the mouse as entry device. - Ask me again when you are there, I talk you through the process. Its not difficult, really, its not difficult.

BigScreen is my choice to watch Youtube videos. It features several environments which huge movie screens. Youtube is easier to handle with this than with the dedicated Youtube VR app that is also avialable. The latter is quite rudimentary only, and anything but attractive to use. - Note,. quest knows two youtuvbe appa, one for normal 2D youtube, and one named Youtube VR. You want the latter to be installed (for free) in the Quest, of you want any of ther two at all.

Note that normal 2D videos no matter thweir resolution, 180°, and 360° videos are three very different types of movies. The bigger the screen, the better it is if the camera they were shot in had extrneely high reosltuion. HD pushed to 360° is quite blurry. 12K in 360°, as one example, is a revelation.

You can and must not plan everythign in advance, I woudl reocmnmend to just relax and let thigns come to you, and then you dela with them one by one and at your personal pace. Dont talk yourself into frustration early.

I will remind you of some good apps to check out once you are set up. I am quite convinced there are options that you so far do not even imagine. Like my Mum, she admnitted some days ago that there are so many things to do with the Quest that she never could have imagined it before. Keep on mind, the Meta apps tore has a return policy similair to that of Steam. You can give back amboght game, within 14 days, and if nto haviugn playe dit for longbe rthan 2 hours. stay below those 2 hours., clearly so, and you are save. I have tested and given back 4 or 5 games, and got confirmation within 2-4 days.

Also this, note that the Meta account and any Facebook account you may or may not have, are independent from each other now, they are no longer linked. They lost a legal battle against the EU, and have given up that former policy.

Also note if you installed and start a new title and it asks for permission to access camera and microphone, you best allow it, else your mixed reality may not work, and other people you link to maybe cannot hear you.

Last edited by Skybird; 02-05-24 at 11:49 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote