View Single Post
Old 10-13-23, 05:48 AM   #192
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Hahahaha, forget Airlink. I got Virtual Desktop on the mask, I got the Virtual Desktop Streaming app on PC, and it linked up everything by itself almost, just had to enter my Meta callsign, and all is well and it works as intended. This way I set it all up within 2-3 minutes! Virtual Desktop is the way to go!

However, I need to check the Firewall, for proof of concept I had it switched off, it is advisable to find out how to just open the needed channels.

Google Earth: works. Streetview: works, although I meantime got it via Wander. Watching Bluray movies in a cinema like I want to: works. Box VR, my most favourite fitness app ever, works.

All is good again!
Since it was free, I got Bigscreen.This morning, to wake up properly, I had a first boxing rumble with a boxer who attacked in in my own living room, and so I felt again The Thrill of the Fight. Three rounds later I needed to go under the shower, heavily breathing... Passthrough, you guess it. That thing more and more reaches status of a killer feature for me. The rumble took place all over my room (which I saw).

And finally, FINALLY, a proper Golf game, Golf + . I did the tutorial, played the first two holes on the first course, and already was in love. It balances realism and fun and easy access so perfectly like I saw it rarely only in a game. Can be played with an easier or a more detailed interface.

Now, I have ticked off all boxes and question marks on my list. Everything works now, or seems to. Everything is a VR quantum leap better. No compromises I had to accept. Better a transition from an older something to a newer one cannot go. Next week the Elite strap with additional battery, I expect no issues, its the original (=expensive) one. Silicon rims for the mask, and later, when they have released them, a tabletennis grip and maybe a stick-grip for tennis, golf and kayaking.

Its probably not necessary to summarise my final verdict and give an end note, you guess it alraedy: I am fully convinced of this Quest 3 headset and it probably is the by far best headset on the market within the affordable price range (say below 1000 Euros). I am already in love with it. If you ever considered to go into VR and shied away from it due to the combined costs of headset and beefy computer hardware, the latter is no factor now anymore, and the rest is absolutely marvelous imo. This is now. And this is the best option so far for anyone interested to go into VR.

If you want to see something grumpy, two things.

First, the resolution of the coloured passthrough is visibly less than the usual working resolution, but I would not call it a dealbreaker, it isn't, and it really does what it should and does it well: you can read something on your Pc monitor, or a handwritten note, you can reliably pick up even tiny objects with your fingers, you see your room quite clearly, so obviously it must be good enough to allow that. Better light is always better, it allows higher ISO, so to speak. Sure, in the future, this will be improved in further hardware, but that is years away, somebody one day will improve it, no doub.

Second, the Airlink. Meta is brought to shame by Virtual Desktop here, it should apologize to customers, because I meanwhile read on the web that many people have problems with it, and many of those who got it solved, report often high latency. Well, via VD I just played a round of A-10 VR, a two-blasters-in-hands shooter, and it all was supermsooth and super-synchronised. Even if the airlink would have worked as advertised, to get there every time needs you to manually control screens and transfer control numbers from one unit to the other VD: have PC running, launch the app in the mask, and the PC desktop shows up in the mask and you handle it like the original on the PC monitor. In this detail, Meta has really messed it up.

95 of 100 points from me. For my use and my needs, this one is a winner.

Quest 2 - Quest 3 display comparison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfDm45du-2c

Golf +

Wander:
Titles like Wander or Wooorld! access the Streetview database by Google, allowing to play with it even when not having access to Google Earth (which is not available for the Quest 1-3). They do things slightly dofferently, but in principle they are Streetview in disguise.

Bigscreen:

Last edited by Skybird; 10-13-23 at 06:36 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote